Commercial Lines Underwriting Leader
One of the nation’s leading property and casualty insurance companies is seeking a Commercial Lines Underwriting Leader. The company is recognized as a great place to work because of its commitment to creating a culture of inclusion where employees are empowered to reach their full potential. This is achieved through the promotion of work-life balance, professional growth and development opportunities, rewards and recognition programs, and opportunities for community support and involvement. The Commercial Lines (CL) Underwriting Leader directs all activities of the CL underwriting function and teams. This includes the development and implementation of vision, strategy, guidelines and policies/procedures. This individual will employ a growth mindset to lead and develop a diverse, high-performing team; creating a culture of empowerment, inclusivity and collaboration. The profitable growth for all CL business, as well as the underwriting transformation are key deliverables for this leader. This is a retained search.
- Directs all activities of the CL underwriting function and teams, including the development and implementation of vision, strategy, guidelines and policies/procedures.
- Ensures compliance with underwriting strategies and guidelines.
- Develops and implements strategic programs and vertical specialization, including the establishment of program controls and success criteria.
- Provides leadership oversight and successfully executes a holistic approach to underwriting automation with enhanced business classification and risk profiling, underwriting pattern optimization, and active rules management to achieve higher straight-through-processing across the risk complexity spectrum.
- Responsible for underwriting across the risk complexity spectrum, from low complexity flow-based accounts through highly complex account underwriting, including specialized industry verticals.
- Strategically drives the development and continuous improvement of automated underwriting processes and systems across product lines, specifying process and system functionalities that enhance efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assists in the creation of pricing strategies and partners closely with product management and actuarial operations. This includes leading performance audits and executing underwriting strategy across all segments and risk profiles.
- 15+ years of progressive underwriting leadership experience across small and middle market, including industry vertical specialization.
- 10+ years of direct leadership experience, including 5+ years of experience in leading leaders.
- Recent experience in leading underwriting transformation and establishing strategic goals, including people, process and technology for one or several business units.
- Demonstrated success of profitably underwriting complex, high exposure commercial lines business.
- Proven track record in managing multi-million-dollar budgets with acceptable variances.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced business degree (e.g., Master of Business Administration) or advanced executive leadership certification programs or insurance designations (e.g., CPCU) (preferred).
Chief Human Resource OfficerHuman ResourcesHealth PlansWisconsin
Vice President of Emerging Markets Strategy and InnovationExecutiveHealth PlansMichigan
Assistant Vice President, CaptiveUnderwritingP/CWork at Home
Regional Sales ManagerSalesP/CFlorida