Vice President of Underwriting
An “A” rated property and casualty carrier focused on commercial real estate risk in the mid-Atlantic is seeking a Vice President of Underwriting. The company has been experiencing tremendous growth and plans to continue growth and expansion. This leader will be a member of the executive leadership team and will have ultimate accountability for the company's underwriting results. This is a retained search.
- Define, document and implement a formal underwriting strategy encompassing target market definition, division objectives, underwriting philosophy and guidelines, processes/procedures/controls, and marketing strategy.
- Work with reinsurers and the parent company to ensure proper reinsurance is in place on every risk. This includes treaty, facultative and catastrophe reinsurance awareness.
- Train, develop and motivate a team toward the achievement of the company’s business plan. Set objectives, monitor performance and counsel employees toward performance improvement.
- Track product offerings and work with outside actuaries and other partners to determine appropriate rates and loss costs, ensuring they are properly filed and approved by the various regulators. Recommend adjustments in the product, as needed, to ensure profitability.
- Report to senior management on the progress of the roll-out and subsequent business growth and profitability in multiple states.
- 10+ years of underwriting and marketing of P&C products; 5+ years in a leadership role managing front-line staff
- Strong relationships with retail and wholesale agents focused in the habitational market
- Expertise in habitational property ownership/management issues, including tenant/landlord liability and property/liability loss control
- Thorough knowledge of the commercial property insurance market
- Well-tuned analytical underwriting skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent business experience
- CPCU or CIC (preferred)
President of Captive InsuranceRisk ManagementP/CCalifornia
President and CEOExecutiveP/CConnecticut
Senior Vice President of UnderwritingUnderwritingP/CNortheast
President and Chief Executive OfficerExecutiveP/CNortheast
Vice President of Carrier ServicesSales & MarketingHealth PlansSouthwest