Vice President of Underwriting
A property and casualty insurance company, providing a broad product base and serving families and small businesses, is seeking a Vice President of Underwriting. The Vice President of Underwriting is responsible for the comprehensive management of both commercial and personal lines, including underwriting and product functions. As a pivotal member of the enterprise leadership team, the selected executive will develop and oversee the execution of the company’s short- and long-term underwriting and business strategies. This is a retained search.
- Collaborate with other senior leaders, including the CEO and CFO as well as interact with the Board of Directors, to achieve business goals.
- Serve as a relationship builder, champion of growth and profit and a trusted resource/partner to the independent agent community.
- Provide strategic insights and fresh solutions driving growth within the commercial line of business.
- Lead and direct underwriting staff with an emphasis on coaching, learning and development, accountability, talent management, and succession planning. Build a creative and collaborative atmosphere that involves problem-solving to overcome obstacles and challenges.
- 10+ years of relevant technical underwriting and management experience; proven executive with strong technical, strategic leadership and management skills
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and experience related to property and casualty insurance underwriting in personal and commercial lines of insurance; extensive knowledge of loss sensitive underwriting
- Strong distribution management skills and relationships; proven ability to grow a profitable book of business in the region and with an array of distribution partners and products
- Experience implementing and maintaining a high-performance culture built on excellence, accountability and trust
- Involvement in reinsurance placement (preferred)
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in business or other appropriate discipline